Monday, 20 March 2017

M&S suspends Google ads amid pressure over hate videos



Marks and Spencer has become the latest big name company to pull its advertising from Google as the internet giant faces pressure over extremist content on its YouTube platform.
 
The high street retailer said it was "pausing activity" - adding to the list of commercial organisations that have already done so, as well as the Government.


Global advertising giant Havas, which buys ad space for a number of big companies, suspended advertising last week.


M&S said: "In order to ensure brand safety, we are pausing activity across Google platforms whilst the matter is worked through."


McDonald's UK also said it had pulled ads through Google, saying it was "disappointed to learn" that safeguards it had "to protect against our adverts appearing alongside unacceptable content" had fallen through.


Supermarket giant Tesco and high street banks Royal Bank of Scotland, HSBC and Lloyds are among the brands taking a similar position as is Audi UK.


Other businesses including Barclays are considering what to do - though Barclays does not currently have any advertising on YouTube or Google.


Sky, the owner of Sky News, said: "It is clearly unacceptable for ads to be appearing alongside inappropriate content and we are talking with Google to understand what they are doing to stop this."


Elsewhere, media-buying agency GroupM, part of the world's largest ad agency WPP, has told Google to apologise to customers and advertisers who saw inappropriate content on YouTube.


It has also written to clients explaining the potential risks to their brands and asking them how they want to respond.


MPs recently said Google was "still profiting from hatred" after it failed to remove videos from groups allegedly linked to terrorism.


Google was summoned to appear in front of Cabinet Office ministers on Friday.


Sky News understands that the company apologised to senior civil servants representing the Government and pledged a review of their advertising systems.


Google was asked to return for another meeting this week to set out the action they plan to take.


Yvette Cooper MP, chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee, has said that Google's failure to remove the hate videos by was "frankly astonishing"




SKY     News.