Saturday, 27 May 2017

Afghanistan war: At least 13 dead in Khost bombing



At least 13 people have been killed in a suicide car bombing in the eastern Afghan city of Khost, officials say.

 
At least two children were among the wounded, the information ministry said.


The attacker targeted police vehicles in the centre of Khost. So far no group has claimed responsibility although the Taliban and the group known as Islamic State will be the main suspects.


There has been a surge in violence in several parts of Afghanistan recently - much of it involving the Taliban.


On Friday at least 15 soldiers were killed in a Taliban attack on a military base in Kandahar province.
Saturday's bombing took place as the country marked the first day of Ramadan, a month of prayer and fasting for Muslims.


It was detonated near a military base, officials say.


A public bus station bore most of the force of the blast which targeted Afghan security forces working with American troops in Khost province, ministry spokesman Najib Danish told the AFP news agency.


"The bodies are not recognisable and it is hard to say if they are civilians or security forces," he added.


The latest violence is a challenge for Nato-backed Afghan forces and raises further concerns about their ability to see off the militant threat.



BBC    News.