Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Four Arab nations leading boycott of Qatar drops list of 13 demands


The four Arab nations leading a boycott of Qatar are no longer insisting it comply with a list of 13 specific demands they tabled last month.

 
Diplomats from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt told reporters at the UN they now wanted it to accept six broad principles.


These include commitments to combat terrorism and extremism and to end acts of provocation and incitement.


There was no immediate comment from Qatar, which denies aiding terrorists.


It has refused to agree to any measures that threaten its sovereignty or violate international law, and denounced the "siege" imposed by its neighbours.
The air, sea and land restrictions put in place six weeks ago have caused turmoil in the emirate, which is dependent on imports to meet its population's basic needs.


At a briefing for a group of UN correspondents in New York on Tuesday, diplomats from the four countries said they wanted to resolve the crisis amicably.


Saudi permanent representative Abdullah al-Mouallimi said their foreign ministers had agreed the six principles at a meeting in Cairo on 5 July and that they "should be easy for the Qataris to accept".


BBC    News.