Monday, 17 July 2017

UAE's minister of state for foreign affairs denies hacking Qatar's state news agency



The United Arab Emirates has denied it was behind the alleged hacking of Qatar's state news agency in May.

 
The Washington Post cited US intelligence officials as saying the UAE had orchestrated the posting of incendiary quotes attributed to Qatar's emir that he insisted were fabricated.


The incident helped spark a diplomatic rift between Qatar and its neighbours.


Qatar said the report "unequivocally proves that this hacking crime took place".


However, UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told the BBC on Monday the Post's report was "untrue".
He also reiterated that the UAE and five other Arab nations had not written to Fifa to demand that Qatar be stripped of the right to host the 2022 World Cup.


Swiss news network The Local said a fake news story quoting Fifa president Gianni Infantino had been posted on a copycat website on Saturday.


The Washington Post's story cited unnamed US intelligence officials as saying newly-analysed information confirmed that on 23 May senior members of the UAE government had discussed a plan to hack Qatari state media sites.


Screengrabs showing the allegedly fake news story were posted on Twitter




BBC     News.