Saturday, 19 August 2017

Barcelona terror cell 'dismantled' but manhunt continues



The terror cell behind Spain's deadly twin attacks has been "dismantled", but the hunt for suspects continues, authorities say.

In a news conference, interior minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said the cell comprised 12 young men.


Many of the men were Moroccan, and some were teenagers.


"The cell has been completely dismantled," he told reporters.


However, the hunt for the man suspected of driving the van into people in Barcelona - 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub - continues.


Abouyaaqoub is a Moroccan national who was living in the Spanish town of Ripoll.


He is not believed to be among those held or shot dead by police in the coastal resort of Cambrils, where the second attack took place.


Abouyaaqoub's flat in Ripoll is one of nine addresses which was raided by police today.


The attacks left 13 people dead in Barcelona and one woman dead in Cambrils. Both attacks were claimed by the Islamic State group.


Police previously believed another suspect, Moussa Oukabir, was the van driver.


It emerged on Friday that Oukabir was among five men shot dead as they launched the attack in Cambrils.


The 17-year-old is suspected of using his older brother's documents to hire the vehicle that ploughed through pedestrians on Las Ramblas.


Moussa Oukabir reportedly died along with Said Aallaa, 19, and Mohamed Hychami, 24, in Cambrils.


The identities of the other two shot by police are yet to be confirmed by authorities.
 
 
Four men, aged 21, 27, 28 and 34, who were arrested in connection with the attacks remain in custody.




SKY      News.